As a key member of the Executive Management team, the Vice President, Chief Financial Officer will report directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer and assume a strategic role in the overall management of the company. The Vice President, Chief Financial Officer will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all activities related to the financial health of the organization.
The Vice President, Chief Financial Officer will play a key role in developing, monitoring and evaluating the overall corporate strategy with the President and Chief Executive Officer and leaders of the Executive Management Team. The position holder will put emphasis in raising capital, maintaining investor relations, be part of the strategy to constantly evolve the business model towards increased recurring revenues, operational efficiency, bottom line performance and enhancing investor value.
The Vice President, Chief Financial Officer benefits from a sound financial team from which he can build on, populated by a finance director whose skill set will be developed in order to maximize her ability to manage the financial operations and develop the ERP system to support all organizational functions, the position holder will play a strategic role in the future growth of the organization.
The Vice President, Chief Financial Officer will interact effectively with all key executives of the company and will be viewed as a trusted business advisor and deal maker by shareholders as well as other stakeholders. The role and responsibilities will include the following key contributions:
- Secure funding through artfully negotiated conditions in order to help the company in its international growth.
- Devise a business intelligence strategy in order to better understand the capital structure of the major competitors as well as develop a better understanding of the competitive landscape.
- In order to play a pivotal role in the financing activities, help orchestrate the corporate development strategy through the analysis of potential acquisition targets, potential JV associations as well as any other activity susceptible to help increase the value of the organization.
- Oversee and develop the financial team on all aspects of the finance and accounting functions of the organization (tax, budgeting, forecasting, credit, treasury and risk management).
- Train and develop the finance team such that an improved internal system is in place in order to prepare for the organization’s major scale up and help the CFO actively participate in the growth of the company.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with senior executives, members of the Board of Directors and investors.
- Build on the current practices in order to develop a disciplined business analysis system which will provide improved financial information and help the company to evolve its business model to create more recurring revenues.
- Effectively lead the verticals under him by hiring and retaining top talent.
- Through business acumen and financial analysis, help the Senior Management of the organization identify potential value-added initiatives as well as support the constant quest to increase the commercial value of the assets. Train, educate and support all the other departments of the organization such that they understand the value creation vectors of the business in order to enhance investor value.
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Strategy and Growth Officer, improve the risk management policy; develop processes around monitoring and assessing risks.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place to safeguard company assets and ensure compliance with applicable rules for financial reporting.
- Maintain and improve the “business partner” approach that both verticals under the Finance Leader have achieved.
- Manage the fiduciary position of the Vice President, Chief Financial Officer.
- Represent the organization’s progress on strategic financial goals to the financial investors.
- Will be the lead negotiator with financial institutions as well as the key contact with corporate development initiatives.
- The Vice President, Chief Financial Officer is responsible for the « control environment » of the finance department as well as all controls as it relates to operations.
Main challenges in relation to the opportunity:
- Through his role with the other Executives, be actively part of the growth of the company (help to develop the strategy, be part of the business model evolution, make everyone understand the value creation vectors, secure funding, develop great relation with investors, be part of the business development and competitive landscape understanding, be part of major deals to help the company grow, etc.).
- Through a focused process, continue to develop and help the alignment of the finance team and the systems in order to prepare the finance function for the scale up of the organization.
- Act as a major contributor to the identification of value-added opportunities in all current commercial operations as well as potential ones.
- To support the finance team in such a way that they are autonomous to continue the development and implementation the new ERP system (go-life in March 2019) so that it provides all departments with timely and value-added financial information.
- With a data-driven approach, prioritize various innovations and cost efficiency projects to ensure the best long-term impact on the organization while creating shareholder value.
Key Attributes: Education, Experience, Competencies and Behaviours:
The organization is seeking an outstanding candidate with demonstrated leadership experience and a professional track record in key executive financial positions. Competencies should include:
- Experience in raising capital through various channels (equity, dept, IPO, etc.) with institutional, family office, VCs, etc.
- Experience in negotiating funding in competitive process (getting the best equity value, cap table restructuring, various shares ranking, ESOP, responding to investors, etc.).
- Proven business acumen with a sense of value creation through structured growth.
- Clear sense of priorities, team spirit and customer focus.
- Demonstrated will to be part of a team on a quest to build a sustainable and very successful organization.
- Demonstrated reflex to be close to the operations (i.e.: seek to understand the business model in detail) in developing a strong team underneath him.
- CPA designation (preferable but not a must).
- Experience to have played a senior role in the finance department of a fast-growing organization (50-100% YoY growth).
- Having been exposed to the North American business scope is considered to be a strong asset.
- Having been exposed to the international business scope is considered to be a nice to have.
- Strong corporate financial control background coupled with experience in mergers and acquisitions.
- Bilingualism (ability to sell ideas in both French and English).
- Seasoned leader with a demonstrated ability to build a team and retain talent to support him to play its strategic business development role.
- Superior management and leadership skills with ability to provide vision to the various managed departments, while being able to train and educate other company team members to understand the value creation vectors that improve the company value.
- Business partner approach in the strategic and operational aspects of the organization.
- Must be able to demonstrate operational and organizational agility.
- Able to work in a fast-paced business environment, with the ability and willingness to multitask (be “hands-on”) and entrepreneurial.
- Be comfortable in a challenging and complex business environment.
Why join the Company
- The electric vehicle market is growing fast and will keep on going (30%+ YoY) as these cars will reach parity with the gas-powered car in 2025.
- Join one of the fastest-growing organization in its industry in North America (the 2nd largest charging network in North America – 1st in Canada).
- Join at a point where the potential footprint on the organization’s growth is quite impactful.
- Quebec-based organization with ambitious long-term view and growth objectives in the U.S. and beyond.
- A proven business model in Canada which is now starting to grow in USA.
- A tremendous performing and fearless team that makes it happen!
Normand Lebeau, CPHR
President & Chief Guardian of the Mandrake Experience