Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Director of Operations will oversee all daily operations of the plant from production and manufacturing to ensure standards and procedures are followed in order to maximize safety, quality, productivity and employee engagement.
The Director of operations must demonstrate a strong leadership style that can mobilize and mentor staff, while building an inclusive and collaborative culture. The successful candidate will oversee all operations, standards and procedures to maximize employees’ safety, quality, productivity and engagement.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious professional looking to drive change and challenge the status quo.
- Built a positive and constructive trust relationship with the operations, engineering and maintenance staff as well as with the management group;
- Improve overall plant productivity and quality, in a safe and secure environment;
- Evaluate, coach, develop and grow the leadership team under director of operations’ responsibility;
- Evolve in a lean production environment. The facility is renowned for its innovative spirit and its continuous improvement activities referred to as “suru-raku.”
- Plan, organize, give orientation in order to run optimum day-to-day operations to exceed our customer’s expectations;
- Ensure safety and commit to plant safety procedures;
- Increase production, asset capacity and flexibility while minimizing costs;
- Optimize productivity and standards, metrics and performance targets to ensure return on assets;
- Ensure current quality of the company’s standards;
- Implement strategies in alignment of company’s vision and mission;
- Provide a clear sense of direction and operational focus;
- Control costs to achieve company budget goals;
- Generalist knowledge about every department in order to manage the plant smoothly;
- Maintain competitiveness of the plant;
- Share trusting relationship with workgroup, manage and develop plant staff;
- Maintain work ethics and professionalism;
- Influence and learn from bottoms up: Genba Approach (Lean Value Creation);
- Stay up to date with latest production management best practices and concepts;
- Provide clear alignment of operational direction and implement strategies aligned with the company’s vision and mission;
- Keep abreast of the latest best practices and concepts in operations management, to promote a culture of innovation and continuous improvement;
- Establish strong and strategic relationships with staff in all departments to ensure that the strategies align with organizational objectives while maintaining close relationships with the union.
- Bachelor’s degree administration, engineering or other relevant education, MBA would be considered an asset.
Knowledge, Experience, Aptitude:
- A minimum of ten years of experience in an operational management role in the manufacturing industry;
- Experience in managing large groups of operations employees through a group of ABMs and supervisors;
- Experience and recognized achievements in the management of good industrial practices relating to workplace safety, quality management and continuous improvement;
- Understanding of, and ability to deploy, strategic planning processes;
- Advanced finance knowledge and budget control;
- Interpersonal Skills: Managers must be able to speak with employees, other department managers and senior management;
- Leadership Skills: Manager must be able to motivate employees to keep operations running smoothly;
- Problem-Solving Skills: Manager must be able to quickly ascertain a situation and be decisive in solving it, such as identifying defects in the production line;
- Time Management and meet production deadlines;
- Sense of commitment, leadership and social skills;
- Ability to create accountability and lead by example;
- Strong team building, decision-making and people management skills;
- Coach leadership style and ability to trust and active listening;
- Creative and innovative mindset;
- New technology implementation experience;
- Change management ambassador and ability to question status quo;
- Political sense and business acumen;
- Bilingualism: French and English.
Why join the company?
- Global, renowned, well-managed company;
- Innovative spirit and continuous improvement mind set;
- Creative, engaged and proud team;
- Highly technologically advanced manufacturing plant;
- Quick impact on plant results;
- Strong career growth potential.
Danny Savard, P. Eng.
Vice President & Practice Leader