Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Director of Engineering and Maintenance will be responsible for creating a strategic vision and developing a culture strongly committed to operational excellence and continuous improvement.
The Director of Engineering and Maintenance must demonstrate a strong leadership style that can mobilize and mentor staff, while building an inclusive and collaborative culture. The successful candidate will oversee all engineering, maintenance and technology information operations, standards and procedures to maximize employees’ safety, quality, productivity and engagement.
The incumbent will manage a staff of about 120. Twelve professional engineers and about 100 maintenance people. The Chief of Engineering and two Chiefs of Maintenance are directly reporting to the role.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious professional looking to drive change and challenge the status quo.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, organizational objectives, plant safety, equipment reliability, project management, continuous improvement, quality and product manufacturing;
- Provide clear alignment of operational direction and implement strategies aligned with the company’s vision and mission;
- Ensure strong organizational commitment to engineering, maintenance and information technology;
- Keep abreast of the latest best practices and concepts in engineering and maintenance management, to promote a culture of innovation and continuous improvement;
- Establish strong and strategic relationships with staff in all departments to ensure that the strategies align with organizational objectives while maintaining close relationships with the union;
- Manage capital budget, control costs and verify purchase requisitions and contracts awarded;
- Ensure that the factory complies with all legal and corporate regulations;
- Communicate with the Head Office regarding corporate requirements related to equipment and IT.
- Built a positive and constructive trust relationship with the engineering and maintenance staff as well as with the management group;
- Improve overall plant maintenance management key figures;
- Develop and implement maintenance best practices policies in regards with new equipment, new technology and massive equipment investment in the plant;
- Manage a maintenance budget of about 10 M$ yearly;
- Coach, develop and grow the engineering and maintenance people;
- Evolve in a lean production environment. The facility is renowned for its innovative spirit and its continuous improvement activities referred to as “suru-raku.”
Knowledge, Experience, Aptitude & Academic Background:
- Degree in Engineering;
- Being a member of the « Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec « ;
- MBA an asset;
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in a management role in engineering and maintenance in the manufacturing industry;
- Fluent in English, both oral and written;
- Demonstrated experience and achievements related to engineering and maintenance good practices in the industrial field;
- Ability to deploy and implement strategic planning processes and to motivate operational staff to adhere to these strategies;
- Strong ability to build, train and lead teams by example to empower them.
Why join the company?
- Global, renowned, well-managed company;
- Innovative spirit and continuous improvement mind set;
- Creative, engaged and proud team;
- Highly technologically advanced manufacturing plant.
Danny Savard, P.Eng.
Vice-Président & Practice Leader
514.878.4224, ext. 231