Reporting to the President, the Senior Vice-President, Ontario & Western Canada is responsible for the overall operations of the division in Ontario and in Western Canada (including BC operations).
The candidate will also be responsible for providing strategic leadership and alignment to assist the corporate group in achieving its strategic objectives.
The Senior Vice-President, Ontario & Western Canada will define and execute the vision, strategies and orientations. He will lead the team in order to maximize the function’s overall contribution to the group’s competitiveness and performance.
He will be responsible to manage six (6) manufacturing plants and site installation teams which will be including 500-600 people.
Main challenges in relation to the opportunity:
- The candidate will have to quickly establish his credibility with the organization. A strong desire to know and to be known is essential to achieve it. Quickly become an inspiring leader;
- Steep learning curve. The incumbent will use his knowledge of the construction industry as well as his extensive contact network to quickly leverage the company’s assets without slowing down the operations;
- Position the company as one of the top performer in its industry, across the territory;
- Ensure that the company is invited to quote on the major projects. Increase the quotations success rate while maintaining or improving the gross profit margin;
- Ensure that every location is profitable;
- Lead, inspire, coach and develop the team so as to position it as a world-class team that will actively support the company’s business strategy and ensure a strong pipeline of talent for succession planning purposes;
- Help the executive committee make the organization better (Be a change agent), in order to successfully adapt to the aggressive growth objectives;
- In conjunction with the President of the company, continue on the quest to build a highly functional leadership team;
- Build the company’s brand into a recognized “employer of choice” organization.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the management team, establish short, mid and long term goals in order to maintain a high level of profitability;
- Build and maintain an environment and working climate favourable to ensure a high level of mobilization and engagement of all the employees, convergence efforts and contributions to the common goal;
- Ensure optimization and maintain strict control of manufacturing process at all levels and achieve budgetary targets;
- Ensure optimization of on-site installation process and team success. Establish and achieve quality, safety, budget and timely delivery standards;
- Ensure that all employees, including the management and supervisor team, production and maintenance staff adhere strictly to safety rules at any time and in any situation;
- Leading the overall operations group in Ontario and Western Canada, to ensure that we achieve the strategic objectives in bottom-line performance;
- Provide leadership in maintaining an effective internal controls discipline and in achieving strong operational results;
- Develop and maintain positive relations with internal as well as external stakeholders (employees, keys clients, dealers, subcontractors and suppliers);
- Analyze operating results and costs to maximize our ability to meet financial targets while improving operating efficiencies. Develop, manage and control the division’s budget;
- Realize budget and business plan objectives (Quotation success rate, volume growth, projects gross margin, operations gross margin, EBITDA, on time delivery, quality, WSIB safety record). Define, implement and measure operational KPI’s;
- Work effectively with cross functional teams and other divisions, at all level within the organization;
- Negotiate with individual and group;
- Be a member of the Executive team responsible for developing and executing the overall business plan. Participate in strategic planning and management meetings;
- Translate business priorities into the operations. Develop plan, long-term objectives, critical goals and success factors that balance with immediate needs;
- Effectively communicates organization and divisional goals;
- Proactively identifying potential opportunities for the business;
- Anticipate obstacles and problems. Dealing with them in a creative way;
- Initiate change and improvement of the business;
- Oversee the ongoing development of guidelines and project priorities, processes, standard operating procedures, methodologies, control and implement best practices. Ensure that change occurs at the lowest possible cost while meeting increasing customer expectations in terms of quality and delivery;
- Maintain knowledge of industry developments and best practices;
- Inspire employee with clear communication. Share the vision, mission and values;
- In conjunction with Human Resources, build the ideal organizational structure by aligning resources to accomplish key objectives as well as finding and attracting talented employees;
- Set high performance and development objectives;
- Motivate and coach management team;
- Effectively dealing with performance and behavioural issues;
- Skilfully manage conflict and confrontations;
- Identify training and development needs for the operations group and make recommendations to Human Resources;
- Recognize and reward performance;
- Leading change management and use effective strategies to facilitate organizational change initiative and overcome resistance to change. Also, handling proactively any consequences of change;
- Contribute to the preparation of proposals, contracts, etc., and oversee all final estimates and proposals in order to support volume and profit margin objectives;
- Meet with key clients to ensure satisfaction and business growth;
- Lead customer complaints resolution and involve employees in customer service improvement.
Key Attributes: Education, Experience, Competencies and Behaviors
The company is seeking for an outstanding candidate with demonstrated leadership experience, high energy and drive, as well as a successful track record as Vice-president.
Competences should include:
The successful candidate will present a track record and demonstrate competence in the following dimensions:
- Engineering profile (civil, structure, mechanical) with 10-15 years of leadership experience in a multi-site, front line operations role, including projects management, construction “on-site” team management, plants manufacturing operations management, bids/RFQ team management;
- Strong knowledge and experience of the construction industry in Ontario and Western Canada. Extensive network of stakeholders in the construction industry;
- Knowledge and understanding of the structure concrete and rebar industry is a plus;
- Proven entrepreneurial mindset and background. Visionary, turned towards business and people development and growth;
- Excellent manufacturing operations manager abilities (productivity, reliability, profitability, safety);
- Strong experience in developing and improving the organization’s project estimation and project management competencies. Especially in regards with on-site installation operations. These on-site operations are crucial for the success of the division;
- A high level of business acumen and the drive to keep on top of the relevant business issues that affect the business units and the industry. Strong financial background. Complete P&L management, financial results analysis. Very good understanding of the cost structure and capability to optimize and improve profit results. Strong capability to identify “where the money comes from”;
- Experience in multi-site management. Capable of understanding the regional reality of all locations and ensure that each of them grows in term of volume and profit;
- Business developer. Understands and participates in the industry. Constantly aware of the upcoming projects and economical turnarounds. Through his vast contact network, capable of ensuring the presence of the company on the majority of the pertinent RFQs. Develop a structure ensuring improvement in the Bid-Hit ratio while maintaining profitability. Capable of developing and maintaining strong relationships with current and future clients;
- Experienced business integrator. Capable of unifying and inspiring every current or future locations to work as one strong organization;
- Relevant experience in managing acquisition projects from an operations perspective (due diligence, integration, people empowerment and engagement);
- Ability to operate as a key member of the company’s leadership team with demonstrated experience in providing strategic contribution to business results;
- Track-record of enlarging and developing teams, including succession management;
- Seasoned communication skills. Properly and clearly communicate corporate and divisional objectives. Inspire and engage his leadership team as well as the entire workforce;
- Strong understanding and knowledge of the laws and regulations, labor market conditions, generally accepted practices prevailing in the company and in all provinces under his responsibility;
- Client service and satisfaction oriented: understand and is responsive to customer needs in both long-term and short-term and move quickly to resolve client issues as they arise.
- Experience working in the Province of Ontario and in Western Canada or at least sensitive to the cultural difference that exists;
- Courage to properly delegate and maturity to recognize when a hands-on approach is needed;
- Ability to travel in Western Canada about 25% of the time.
Education and experience:
A bachelor’s degree from a recognized university is required. Engineering (civil, structure, mechanical) background or other relevant education will be considered.
Why join the Company
- Healthy, recognized, well structured, mature and growth oriented organization;
- Entrepreneurial culture, fostering business and people development;
- Multi-dimensional performance challenge;
- Position the company as a top performer in its industry;
- Good and robust business structure under the Vice-president. Strong possibilities of growth and improvement;
- Ideal environment for a multi-skilled talented operator;
- Personal growth potential.
Our mission is to make a proactive contribution to our customers’ success worldwide by providing ingenious technical solutions in the fields of reinforcing steel and access, with the aim of building a better future, and providing our employees with a safe work environment that fosters performance and social and professional solidarity.
Danny Savard, P.Eng
Vice-President & Practice Leader