Reporting to the Managing Director based in Toronto, the Investment Director aims to prospect and generate growth equity and buy out opportunities for investments (in a minority position) from $5M to $50M. The targeted private companies must be profitable with a minimum of $3M growing EBITDA, operating in different sectors and mainly located in Quebec and Ontario.
As a responsive shareholder, we are looking for a flexible partnership-based approach when dealing with management and other shareholders. Founders and Managing teams remain in charge of managing their company and choose their own strategy. But our human scale and responsive investment team is willing to play an active role in corporate projects, contributing actively to the growth of its partners. Through medium and long-term investments, it aims to optimize value creation for the benefit of all the shareholders.
- Our projects are led by the following human and financial criteria:
- Solid management dedication to the business
- Companies with strong positions in their markets, leadership in a niche area
- Growth potential, both organic and via acquisition
- An appropriate development strategy
Based in Montreal, the Investment Director will be responsible for choosing investment opportunities and presenting them to the Investment Committee. He will carry out and ensure the closure of authorized investments, and follow them to term to ensure their liquidity, usually by a trade sale or purchase back by the company.
Through commercial prospecting, the Investment Director will contact company managers, investment banks and other business intermediaries, directly with whom he will form a privileged relationship. He will be responsible for creating, strengthening and maintaining a network of potential business clients, including by networking.
Main challenges in relation to the opportunity:
- Participate and contribute to further developing the organization in Québec and Canada.
- Identify, approach and analyze interesting potential investment opportunities in the Quebec market.
- Adapt quickly to start-up culture and environment.
Key Attributes: Education, Experience, Competencies and Behaviors
- Undergraduate degree in finance or relevant field
- Master of Business Administration degree or master’s degree in finance or CFA designation would be an asset
- Firm prerequisite: at least 5 years’ experience in private equity investment
- Knowledge of equity investment process and post-investment follow-up
- Able to secure a deal (strong interpersonal and business skills)
- Proven success with selecting investments
- Good business sense
- Prior operational role within a company is an asset
- Experience with corporate boards of directors regarding investment funds would be an asset
- Significant business network within the Québec market
- Financial as well as corporate assessment and appreciation analysis experience
- Capacity to analyze, asses and offer sound judgment with respect to investments
- Available to travel across Canada to prospect or attend industry events
- Highly motivated
- Committed to teamwork
- True spirit and willingness to serve the interest of the corporation
- Integrity, maturity, autonomy, and initiative
- Critical thinking in order to allow decisions
- Able to negotiate
- Able to gain management’s respect as well as to build a relationship and trust
- Impeccable and intense work ethic
- Multicultural mindset
- Bilingual English/French
Why join the Company?
- Technological disruptions, ecological transitions, new economic paradigms: our ecosystems change, and we must transform ourselves as well. We are convinced that for entrepreneurs, being open is key to success: open to new markets, to other ways of thinking, to different governance practices, to new business models. What we provide goes beyond financial resources. Your projects benefit from the experience gained in a few hundred situations, from companies we currently support or have helped to grow in the past: true transforming capital.
- The organization offers a flexible and human-sized environment and we invest for the long term.
Vice President & Practice Leader
514-878-4224 ext. 237
-The masculine gender is used throughout this document solely to facilitate reading and has no discriminatory intent.-