Under the supervision of the Vice President, Logistics, Distribution & Customer Service. The incumbent will be responsible for the marine, rail and trucking operations.
He will provide leadership in respect of Marine Operations & Chartering, Rail & Truck Transportation, Logistics scheduling and Supply Chain Planning, Safety Operations, Environmental Operations and Asset Management.
High visibility, high impact role, excellent career growth opportunities.
- Manage the commercial and operational aspects of the role in a “hands-on” way;
- Maximize the operation of the company’s transportation assets;
- Develop and maintain good relationships with the marine and chartering operations stakeholders (locks, terminals, docking) along the two main marine routes (St-Lawrence-Great Lakes way and Canadian and American East Coast);
- Negotiate and manage rail and truck contracts;
- Reduce the transportation cost of bulk material to its minimum (crucial factor in company profitability) while maintaining or improving customer service levels.
- Negotiate voyage and time charter contracts with owners/operators/charterers/brokers;
- Pursue 3rd party business opportunities to complement in-house trade;
- Manage all rail and truck requirements;
- In-charge of pricing freight for in-house and 3rd party businesses;
- Manage Supply Chain Planning across the organization;
- Represents the Vice-President throughout the organization internally & externally in all the relevant areas incorporated within logistics;
- Managing the transportation, operations and associated budget for the company (emergency planning in respect of unforeseen emergencies or weather contingencies and amending as required especially for marine, nautical, safety and environmental);
- Develops and ensures the standardization of current and future fleet operational policies, procedures and standards for all transportation, safety and environmental;
- Responsible for the leadership and internal development of the shore side Marine Operations team (BMSU operations);
- Oversee implementation of environmental protection and pollution prevention within all company transportation;
- Liaison and partner with multiple external regulatory organizations;
- Manage projects as assigned by the Vice-President;
- Work with all safety and regulatory bodies to see that all critical projects are executed in compliance;
- Responsible for developing budgets for operations and projects;
- Partner with other Marine and Technical consultants during specified projects to verify all area requests are being met;
- Safety Management System (SMS) Responsibilities include:
- Implementation of the general safety management responsibilities in SMS;
- Accountable for implementing Safety Management System policies and procedures relative to areas of responsibilities;
- Develops and modifies SMS policies, LOGs and operational manuals and approves them.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
Knowledge, Experience, Aptitude:
- 5-8 years of experience in dry bulk chartering and land transportation;
- Good understanding of domestic shipping and global dry bulk freight markets;
- Excellent negotiation skills and professional integrity;
- Good network within the shipping community;
- Experience in supply chain planning for bulk commodities;
- Proven experience designing & implementing Safety and Regulatory training programs;
- Bulk Terminal operations experience;
- Understanding of marine certifications and transportation law both domestic and international;
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25% of the year and work weekends;
- Bilingual French, English.
- Proven ability to influence;
- Exhibits strong leadership and developmental skills;
- Proven problem-solving and project implementation skills;
- Ability to connect strategy to implementation and execution;
- Strong attention to detail with ability to prioritize and distribute workflow;
- Ability to work well in fast-paced and deadline-driven environment;
- Comfortable with ambiguity;
- Ability to manage and meet strict deadlines;
- Ability to work independently without constant supervision;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to facilitate and present to all audiences.
Why join the company?
- To work in a growing organization, where you will find a dynamic and friendly work environment;
- Possibility to have a direct and significant impact on the company development and profitability;
- Challenges and projects by the ton;
- Remuneration well above the market average;
- A competitive benefits’ program.
Danny Savard, P.Eng.
Vice-President & Practice Leader
*The masculine gender is used throughout this document solely to facilitate reading and has no discriminatory intent.